Licences, Taxes and Fees

Personal Income Tax

Do I have to pay income tax?

NWT residents are required by the NWT Income Tax Act and the federal Income Tax Act to pay both federal and territorial personal income tax on all income earned both inside and outside Canada.

NWT income tax brackets and credit amounts are indexed annually using the federal index factor.

How do I file my income tax return?

You only need to file one return to the Canada Revenue Agency for both the federal and territorial income tax. For more information on how to file, please refer to the Government of Canada's Personal Income Tax page.

How is NWT income tax structured?

Both the current combined personal income tax structures and historical NWT income tax structures are available for download from our website.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my income tax return?

NWT residents with questions regarding their tax return or account can call the Canada Revenue Agency’s toll-free dedicated telephone service for territorial residents at 1-866-426-1527 or visit the CRA website.

Who do I contact if I have questions about NWT Income Tax legislation?

For other inquiries concerning NWT income tax legislation, contact:

Government of the NWT 
Fiscal Policy Division, Department of Finance
PO Box 1320 
5th Floor, Arthur Laing Building 
5003-49th Street
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9 
Telephone: 867.767.9158, ext. 15056
Toll-free: 1.800.661.0820 
Fax: 867.873.0128