Risk Management and Insurance

What does the Risk Management and Insurance section do?

The Risk Management and Insurance section of the Department of Finance is responsible for administering the Government of the Northwest Territories’ insurance program.

This includes investigating claims against the Government for situations where third parties believe the Government is responsible for damage to their vehicles or other property.

How do I make an insurance claim against the GNWT?

You must submit your claim, in writing, to:

Risk Management & Insurance

Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
PO BOX 1320

You can also fax your claim to 867-920-4357, or email it to

What kind of information should I include in my claim?

To properly investigate your claim, please include:

  • your full contact information (address, telephone and email);
  • the date of the incident;
  • any other people involved;
  • where it happened;
  • what happened; and
  • why you believe the Government is responsible.

Photographs and estimates of damage are also helpful.

We will contact you within 1 business day to acknowledge receipt of your claim and will provide a written response as soon as we have concluded our investigation.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Risk Management and Insurance directly at 867-767-9177, extension 15263 or 867-767-9177, extension 15260.