The wildfire event in the Kátł’odeeche First Nation has resulted in an Evacuation Order for Kátł’odeeche First Nation and the Town of Hay River residents.
The Evacuee Income Disruption Support program aims to provide one-time targeted financial relief during evacuations. Its goal is to ease the financial burdens faced by evacuees who have suffered a loss of employment income.
NWT residents 17 and over whose employment has been disrupted by an evacuation lasting more than seven days can receive a one-time payment of $750.
The NWT Evacuee Income Disruption Support program is available to all NWT residents 17+ who:
- are subject to an evacuation order of over seven days; and
- have suffered a loss of employment income because their employment has been disrupted due to the evacuation order.
The NWT Evacuee Income Disruption Support program is NOT available to:
- shareholders of an incorporated business who own more than 40 per cent of the common shares of the business and who are also employees of the business.
How to apply
Residents will be provided with an application form to apply for Evacuee Income Disruption Support program. To participate in the program, adults will have to:
- Register as an evacuee with the GNWT;
- Provide proof of employment income;
- Provide a declaration that they have lost their employment income and have received no financial assistance from their employer; and
- Provide personal information sufficient for the GNWT to issue a T4A slip. The payment will be subject to a ten per cent withholding tax.
Completed applications can be sent to:
Eligible individuals will be provided with the one-time payment in one of the following forms:
- Direct deposit for individuals with electronic banking capability; or