Financial Reporting and Collections endeavors to bring professionalism, credibility, compassion, integrity, respectability, privacy, and honesty to Government of the Northwest Territories debt collection process. The following information is for debtors who may require assistance in cleaning up outstanding accounts.

Who do I contact about repaying my debt?

Collections Officers are assigned to accounts by LAST NAME.

You can contact a GNWT Collections Officer by calling 867-767-9171 (or toll free at 800-661-0820) and dialing:

  • ext. 15088 for A—G;
  • ext. 15091 for H—O; and
  • ext. 15089 for P—Z.

Anyone owing more than $10,000 in student loans should contact 867-767-9171 ext. 15087.

What method of payment can I use to repay my debt?

Financial Reporting and Collections accepts the following methods of payment:

  • credit card (Visa or Mastercard only);
  • bank draft;
  • money order;
  • personal cheque;
  • online banking transfer;
  • debit card or cash at Financial and Employee Shared Services Offices; and
  • pre-authorized debit (Student Loans only).

I owe taxes to the GNWT. Who should I contact?

Individuals with questions regarding owed taxes should call 867-767-9177 and dial:

  • ext. 15271 for Property Tax debt;
  • ext. 15278 or 15279 for Payroll Tax debt;
  • ext. 15273 for Tobacco Tax debt; and
  • ext. 15275 for Fuel Tax debt.

What do I do if I didn’t receive a copy of my outstanding account?

If you did not receive a copy of your outstanding account contact Financial Reporting & Collections to request a copy of the outstanding invoice or loan.

What do I do if I want to dispute my account?

To dispute your account, contact Financial Reporting & Collections and provide details of the dispute including any substantiation you may have.

What do I do when I can’t pay my account in full?

If you cannot pay your account in full by the due date, contact Financial Reporting & Collections to discuss repayment options and avoid serious collection action.

What do I need to include when submitting my Household Financial Statement?

When submitting your Household Financial Statement you must include substantiation. Acceptable forms of documents are bills, statements, receipts, and paystubs.

What do I do when I receive a call from the Collection Agency?

If you receive a call from a collection agency we encourage you to discuss repayment options with them to have the outstanding account paid.  Once accounts are transferred to the collection agency you will be required to deal with them directly. If you want the agency to cease calling permanently you must put that request in writing, provide them your legal address where they can contact you, and submit it to the collection agency either by fax, mail, or email.

What do I do when I receive a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency?

If you receive a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency contact Financial Reporting & Collections for details. When contacting Financial Reporting & Collection, please ensure you have the name of the program for which you have been reported.  The name of the program can be found in the body of the letter you received.

Who do I notify if a customer is deceased?

Notify Financial Reporting & Collections if the individual owing the outstanding account is deceased. Financial Reporting & Collections will need to obtain documentation and information from you.

Who do I notify if I have filed bankruptcy or a consumer proposal?

If you have an outstanding account owing to the Government of the Northwest Territories and have filed bankruptcy or a consumer proposal you must ensure your Trustee remits the documentation to Financial Reporting & Collections.