Investing in Green Initiatives
Search Implementing Carbon Pricing in the NWT
The GNWT has outlined a series of energy projects that will reduce GHG emissions as part of the 2030 NWT Energy Plan. These are just a portion of the actions identified as part of the energy plan.
Many of these actions will be completed in partnership with the federal government under programs that require 25% of the funding be provided by the GNWT and 75% by the federal government.
Specific initiatives planned over the next five years include:
- Inuvik Wind
- Fort Providence/Kakisa Transmission
- Norman Wells Wind/Diesel
- Whatì Transmission
- Fort Simpson LNG
- Sachs Harbour Wind/Diesel
- Aklavik Additional Solar for VSG Trial
- Fort McPherson Conventional Solar
- Tulita Solar for Advanced Inverter Trial
- Ulukhaktok Conventional Solar
- Paulatuk Conventional Solar
- Wekweètì Conventional Solar
- Tsiigehtchic Conventional Solar
Revenues from the NWT Carbon Tax that are targeted for investing in green initiatives are expected to total more than $40.0 million over the next five years and will be the main source of resources used to advance actions approved through the 2030 Energy Plan.